Friday, November 18, 2016

McCandless Soundtrack or Playlist


Today/Homework:  Complete Your Songlist for Monday. Bring hard copies of both the McCandless playlist and your own. 

1.     Kanye West – Lost in the World (ft. Bon Iver)
In the song the featured artist, Bon Iver, begins the song with a dreamy, spaced out intro.  The dreamy, spaced out feel reminded me of an open mind and thinking a lot.  And being in the forest of Alaska, alone, I’d assume McCandless did a lot of thinking.  The intro itself says, “I’m up in the woods, I’m down on my mind.  I’m building a still to slow down the time,” In a way, Bon Iver’s intro and McCandless’ trip to Alaska are parallels, Bon Iver says he’s up in the woods, and Chris was also up in the woods (Alaska).  Even if Bon Iver meant it metaphorically, to represent that maybe he was distant from others, Chris would also fit into that meaning as well.  “I’m down on my mind,” simply relates to how Chris was trying to find a deeper meaning with himself.  Chris wasn’t building a still like Bon Iver was, but taking this trip rather then being a part of “normal” life makes him seem like he is trying to slow down the time, if you will.

Gimme Some Truth John Lennon

            The overall idea of Gimme Some Truth by John Lennon relates really well to Chris McCandless. The song depicts rejection of authority through the lines “I’ve had enough of reading things/by neurotic psychotic pigheaded politicians” (Lennon 4-5). Although Chris is not quite as brash, he does begin to disobey the government and live by his own rules and those of a higher order. The tone of the song is slightly callous and disdainful. The song is direct and shows a real yearning for the truth. The line “all I want is the truth, just give me some truth” (Lennon 6) draws a direct parallel to Chris who wanted to find some truth and meaning in his life. His grand journey was to find some truth and showed eagerness. The mood of the song is determined because of the strong need for truth conveyed.

River Ibeyi


            The song, River by Ibeyi has a theme of purity which can also be found in the ideals of Chris McCandless. Chris lives by strong morals and takes those morals and his purity seriously. The lyrics “sink my pains and complains/ let the river take them, river drown them” (Ibeyi 12-13) demonstrate a sort of healing provided by nature. Similarly, Chris went into the natural world to address his own beliefs and possible pains. Nature was supposed to provide a sort of understanding and resolution. The tone of the song is sincere, the singers possess honesty and a sort of sweetness to what they’re saying. The mood is calm, reflecting the theme of nature and purity. The song overall contains the theme of nature and cleansing which was also found in McCandless’ everyday life and journey to Alaska. 

I Don’t Want To Be- Gavin DeGraw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFCW3PHBws

“Part of where I'm going, is knowing where I'm coming from”
“I don't want to be
Anything other than what I've been trying to be lately
All I have to do
Is think of me and I have peace of mind
I'm tired of looking 'round rooms
Wondering what I've got to do
Or who I'm supposed to be
I don't want to be anything other than me
I'm surrounded by liars everywhere I turn
I'm surrounded by imposters everywhere I turn”
“Am I the only one who noticed?
I can't be the only one who's learned!”
“I came from the mountain
The crust of creation
My whole situation-made from clay to stone
And now I'm telling everybody”


“I Don’t Want To Be” by Gavin DeGraw identifies with Chris McCandless very well. The chorus “I don’t want to be anything other than I’ve been trying to be lately” demonstrates Chris’ individuality, stubbornness, and strength in his moral values because Chris was well aware of the person he was trying to be by entering the wild, and did not care what other people around him thought of him because in his mind he was right.  Another relation to Chris has to do with the lyric “I’m surrounded by liars everywhere I turn...I’m surrounded by imposters everywhere I turn” which underscores Chris’ discontent with his demanding father after he learned of Walt’s own youthful mistakes and lies.  Chris was deeply affected by this, and the frustrated tone of the song depicts Chris’ frustration and anger with his father.  The passionate and assertive tone of the song also relates to Chris’ stubbornness and determination to do things his way and be himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment